my ingredients to life....

my ingredients to life...
this blog is to share recent happenings, our culinary feats, knitting creations, stories of travels, and just updates of our lives in general. i believe that the small parts of each day inbetween the clock in and clock out, commute and the few precious hours of sleep really are the key components to a happy life. i am truely blessed, no complaints.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Culinary Re-cap

So for this week's tasty eatings...

Sunday we had Justin's side of the family over for dinner. He brined/corned his own brisket this year for St. Pat's. A couple days late, but it was delicious. Aparently the part that turns the brisket pink contains sodium nitrite. We have read that it is toxic if consumed by itself - careful people. Justin has been getting pretty creative in preparing large hunks of meat. And this one was delicious. He also made boiled cabbage and potatoes, your general Irish fare. For appetizers he made homemade pork dumplings. We got a dim sum steamer from the asian market just down the street (how convenient!!) and they were great. This recipe has a thick, sweet dough - a perfect compliment to the tangy pork filling. Yum.

Monday was left over beef bourguignon. Early this week everyone kept telling me they read the blog and thought I was crazy for spending so much time in the kitchen. It's fun, I love it. A few friends have said they feel stupid and have no idea what the stuff I make is, I just laugh. Nothing we eat is that crazy or odd.

Tuesday my brother and sister came into town, but not until late. I was starving after teaching lab in the aftenoon, probably because it was 90 degrees in there and we were teaching taping techniques. Not my favorite subject... Anyway, I stopped at Hy Vee to grab some dumpling wrappers to use the rest of the pork Justin made. There were no leftovers of his dough, too delicious. So we had a nice appetizer of steamed pork dumplings with spicy hot ginger soy dipping sauce. For dinner Megan and Derek wanted mexican - not a whole lot of selection for good, late-night Mexican. We went to Hector's, they have yummy margaritas!

Wednesday and Thursday, not a whole lot. The week got busy and both of us were tired. But Friday - Roman Coin pizza. I think it is the best pizza in town. Soooo goooood. This time was combination. Perfect crust, a nice sweet sauce, and perfect ratio of toppings and cheese. It never disappoints. I had a cold piece this morning for breakfast. :)

Today we stopped at Bruegger's for lunch. I LOVE their bagel sandwiches. And I could eat them everyday. Justin had his usual, smoked salmon, and I tried the cheddar, spinach and egg sandwich on sundried tomato. It was a good choice. Now Justin is sitting in the middle of the kitchen with a book making Schweinshaxe. (ShwINEs-hox) It's a German pork shank dish, my dad introduced it to us at Hessen Haus in Des Moines. Justin bought a German cookbook afterward that was supposed to have every German dish that is traditional, and it wasn't in there. Either the book isn't complete, or this dish is fake German. Either way I don't care. It smells soooo good. There is a whole bunch of clove and mustard seed in the meat rub. Can't wait! He's a pic of it simmering in the oven.


So tomorrow it's my turn. I took a venison eye of round of the freezer. My dad told me it should be sliced thin, either for stroganoff or fajita meet. I can't decide what to make yet. I have a recipe from my Aunt Mary for a asian merinade that uses molasses, mustard and ginger. I'm leaning toward that recipe.... we'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Erin - what a crazy story...from the cookies to making the same dessert at the same time! I'm looking forward to following your blog now too :)

    ReplyDelete