my ingredients to life....

my ingredients to life...
this blog is to share recent happenings, our culinary feats, knitting creations, stories of travels, and just updates of our lives in general. i believe that the small parts of each day inbetween the clock in and clock out, commute and the few precious hours of sleep really are the key components to a happy life. i am truely blessed, no complaints.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Black beans and car dents

I've been reading about some of the best nutrition-packed foods, and black beans are up there on the list. Lots of fiber and protein, and very low glycemic index. So last night a poured a bag of beans into a big bowl of water to rehydrate them. After an hour the beans were almost twice as big. I let them sit over night (and added more water as needed as the beans expanded) and then boiled them for about an hour and fifteen minutes to cook them. Justin actually stirred them a bit in the middle because I had to run to the store for some final ingredients for dinner and some beer.

So I'm walking out to my car from Hy-Vee (man, am I going to miss Hy-Vee up in Alaska!!) with my purchases. I following this guy and his 3 kids down the isle, and they apartently were parked next to me. The oldest kid of the three ran for the front passenger door beating his siblings and flung the door open. I was just at the back bumper of my car and then "thunk!!" That brat dented my front fender with the door!! My mouth just dropped and the father yelled at the kid. I don't think he saw me standing there at that point, so I cleared my throat a little just to imform my presence. "Oh ma'am....I guess I'll be paying for your car." Damn right you will! I got his information, tossed my groceries into the back, then walked down the strip mall to Wine and Spirits. Much needed at this point.



So I get back home and make dinner. I stongly believe that cooking is therapeutic. Sauteeing vegetables is one of my favs. I tossed some sliced green pepper and onion into the cast iron and went to work. After about 15 minutes of slowly tossing the veggies, all better! A couple stirs of the black beans that are just about tender and gathering the rest of the ingredients. And... voila. Veggie tacos! Today was green pepper and onion, black beans, diced tomato and some jalapeno, sour cream and cheese, sliced green and cilantro. Yummy sweet cilantro. Hands down my favorite herb... wait - basil. But a close second! And to pair with it - one of my favorite wheat beers, Blue Star from North Coast Brewing Co. I first had this at El Bait Shop in downtown Des Moines. I remember I was with my friend Emily and the wall which was actually a garage door was open and it was a great summer night. I think I had a few Blue Stars that night if I remember correctly... :D

And I got some more fresh flowers as well. My sister has got me started on this kick of having fresh flowers around all the time. She worked as a florist for a while and was always bringing home fresh flowers. My mom is absolutely spoiled - several times a week my sister would be scrounging for another vase and filling the counters and tables with arrangements. I would have liked to add a few more greens to this, but they didn't have any! I LOVE bells of Ireland, but my Hy Vee doesn't carry them. Or large tea leaves. Whatever, they still look nice.

I've also started another knitting project. I'm making socks. I've never knit a pair, and I've always been told they are super easy. This pattern has me using size 2 needles, so this could take a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment